After School Clubs & Activities
Building Physical and Social Skills
After school activities are an important part of community life at Summit Academy. They offer an opportunity for our students to explore their talents and interests while having a place to practice social and teamwork skills. The team sports and activities we offer vary depending on students’ abilities, needs and preferences. Therefore, club offerings are subject to change each school year.
Below is a list of club offerings for the 2017-2018 school year. Feel free to contact club sponsors to inquire or express interest in a particular club. This page will be updated periodically as additional clubs open.
2017-2018 Clubs & Activities
Summit Academy is proud to participate in the National Archery In the Schools Program, which began in Kentucky and is now used by hundreds of schools nationwide. Coaches and parents assistants are trained and certified by NASP to teach archery in the Archery Club. Students learn about the sport of archery, including safety, how to use equipment, scoring, and the rules of competition. Competitions are held weekly during practice and at regional and state level tournaments in the spring.
- Club is open to students in grades 4 and up and is limited to 16 students.
- Practices are Thursday after school until 4:00 p.m in the gym and runs from September through February.
- Parent help is essential and very much appreciated-to take attendance, make phone calls, serve snacks, and help with crowd control.
- All students will be required to sign a behavior agreement to ensure the safety of all participants.
- All parents are required to sign an informed Waiver of Liability.
- Registration fee in $140.00 per year. There will be no refunds after the 2nd meeting of the club.
The Summit Academy basketball team is geared toward skills development,understanding game strategies, learning sportsmanlike conduct, and team building. It is a competitive sport that requires attendance at all scheduled games and practices.
- The basketball team is open to students in grades 5-8.
- Practices are Monday and Wednesday afternoons from 3:00-4:30, in the Summit Academy gym.
- Season runs from October through February.
- Sponsor/Coach will notify parents of any changes to the practice or game schedule.
- Registration fee is $150.00. There will be no refunds given after the second team practice.
- Basketball Team requires a signed Waiver of Liability.
- For more information, contact the club sponsor.
Cheerleading participants learn cheers and dance routines to perform at school and community events. Students also learn and practice social skills and participate in other group activities.
- Cheerleading is open to all students in grades 2 – 6.
- Practices are on Monday afternoons from 3:00-4:15.
- Season runs from September through February.
- Participants are required to rent a cheerleading uniform and pom-poms from the school.
- All cheerleaders will need to have white tennis shoes and socks.
- Registration fee is $130.00 per year (this includes a $25 uniform rental/cleaning fee). There will be no refunds given after the second Cheerleading practice.
- Cheerleading requires a signed Waiver of Liability.
- Contact club sponsor for more information.
Students will learn the rules and strategies of the game of chess, while improving their abstract thinking and sequencing skills. They will play games against each other during club meetings and will also compete in matches against other Jefferson County elementary and middle schools.
- Chess Club is open to all students in grades K – 8.
- Club meets on Tuesdays from 3:00 – 3:45 p.m. in the Summit Academy Library.
- Chess Club will be in two Sessions. Session 1 runs from Sept. – Dec.; Session 2 runs from Jan. – May.
- Matches with other schools will be scheduled after school from 4:00-5:00pm. These matches may or may not occur regular meeting days. Parents will be responsible for transporting their children to and from the matches.
- Registration fee is $55.00 per session. If your student wants to participate all year, you must register for BOTH sessions. There will be no refunds given after the second club meeting.
We are excited to offer Cooking Club: Kessler’s Kitchen this year in remembrance of former parent, board president, friend, and enthusiastic supporter, Amy Kessler. One of Amy’s passions was cooking. She loved entertaining for her friends and being in the kitchen.
- Club is open to students in grades 4 – 11
- Meets on Wednesdays from 3:00 – 4:15
- The March session will be for intermediate and middle school students (gr. 4-8), and the April session will be for high school students (gr. 9-11)
- Registration fee is $75.00 per session. If your student wants to participate all year, you must register for BOTH sessions. There will be no refunds given after the second club meeting.
[This information will be updated as more details become available]
Students will participate in drama and theater activities, including script readings, stage direction, portraying various emotions and improvisation. The students in drama club will stage one production in December and another in April. Content and difficulty of the production will depend on the age and capabilities of the performers.
- Drama Club is open to all students in grades 4 – 11.
- Club meets on Tuesday afternoons from 3 – 4:15 in the auditorium.
- Club meets in two sessions. Session 1 runs Sept. – Dec.; Session 2 runs Jan. – Apr.
- Additional rehearsals will be schedule closer to performance dates. Club sponsor will inform parents of any changes in rehearsals or performances.
- Students must maintain good school attendance and rehearsal attendance to perform in productions.
- Registration fee is $70.00 per session. If your student wants to participate all year, you must register for BOTH sessions. There will be no refunds after the second rehearsal of the session.
- Contact the club sponsor with any questions.
Girls Running Club
The Summit Academy Girls Running Club will focus on community, compassion, confidence and character. During each meeting, there will be a topic focusing on the challenging issues that girls may face in relationships with others, and within themselves. There will be interactive activities as well as self-reflective tasks on the topics.
Above all the girls will complete the activities collaboratively, while learning healthy lifestyle habits, including exercise. Students in the older grades, will be encouraged to be mentors and models for our younger students. There will be running involved in each practice. See detailed club information here (pdf).
- Running Club is open to girls in grades 4 – 11.
- Practices are on Monday afternoons from 3:15-4:30.
- Season runs from February through May, 2018.
- May 19th we will be participating in the 13th Annual Outrunning Autism 5K and Fun Walk.
- Registration fee is $100.00.
- Running Club requires a signed Waiver of Liability.
- Contact club sponsor for more information.
- Get the “backing” or verbal recommendation of 1 teacher other than Ms. Miller.
- Agree to abide by and meet all high school behavioral and social expectations.
- Maintain good standing in all classes.
- Agree to maintain records of all independent and group community service and/or volunteer hours.
- Provide a minimum of 10 hours independent community service and/or volunteer hours before May 1st.
- Actively participate in club sponsored service activities.
STEAM club is open to students in grades 4-11 and all ability levels. Start date is February 6, 2017. Contact Rebecca Hoffmann with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Swim Club is non-competitive club designed for exercise, social interaction and fun!
- Swim Club is open to all students in grades K – 8.
- Club meets Fridays from 3 – 4 p.m. at All about Kids, located at 2531 Blankenbaker Pkwy. Fall Session Dates: September: 1,8,15,22 & 29; October: 6 & 13; November: 3, 10 & 17
- Parents are responsible for transporting, or arranging transportation for their children to and from All About Kids.
- Registration fee is $70.00 per session. If your student wants to participate all year, you must register for BOTH sessions. There will be no refunds given after the second meeting of the club.
- Swim Club requires a signed Waiver of Liability.
- Contact the club sponsor with any questions.
Throws Club is designed to teach students the basics of shot put, discus throw and weight throw (modified hammer throw). Lessons will be tailored to the skill and strength level of all participants. Throwing events work on improving core strength, hand/grip strength, balance, motor planning and body awareness. Proper technique, movement within the throwing circle and drills with and without implements will be the primary focus – weight training is not. This club is meant to be a unique, fun, low pressure introduction to the throws events.
- Throws Club is open to all students in grades K – 11.
- Throws Club meets on Thursday afternoons from 3:00-4:00. The 2017-18 session begins March 1, 2018.
- Club Sponsor will provide all implements used in practice.
- Practices will be held at Summit Academy in the field behind the gym. In case of inclement weather, practice will be inside the gym. Street shoes are not allowed in the gym.
- Students should dress appropriately in gym clothes. Special throwing shoes are needed and the cost of these shoes is incorporated into the fee. However, due to the specialty of the sport, it is not guaranteed that shoes can be provided for everyone (smaller sizes are difficult to find). The smallest size available is adult unisex size 4. If we cannot procure throwing shoes, tennis shoes will be the acceptable alternative. The throwing shoes will remain the property of Summit Academy.
- Students who wear glasses need to have their glasses secured with a strap, so the glasses will not fall off when they are spinning/rotating. Students should bring their own water bottle each day.
- All parents are required to sign and informed Waiver of Liability.
- Each parent is encouraged to sign up to attend practice as a volunteer to help practice run safely and smoothly and also provide an after-fun snack for the group.
- Information needed at time of registration: (FOR ONLINE REGISTRATION: Please complete the existing fields and enter the additional information in the provided text box labeled “Additional Information”): t-shirt size, right or left-handed, shoe size, parent volunteers
- Contact club sponsor with any questions. [INFORMATIONAL FLYER]