After School Clubs & Activities
Building Physical and Social Skills
After school activities are an important part of community life at Summit Academy. They offer an opportunity for our students to explore their talents and interests while having a place to practice social and teamwork skills. The team sports and activities we offer vary depending on students’ abilities, needs and preferences. Therefore, club offerings are subject to change each school year.
Below is a list of current and frequently offered clubs. Feel free to contact club sponsors to inquire or express interest in a particular club. This page will be updated periodically as additional clubs open.
After School Clubs & Activities Information
* Clubs marked with an asterisk are either closed or not available at this time.
Summit Academy is proud to participate in the National Archery In the Schools Program, which began in Kentucky and is now used by hundreds of schools nationwide. Coaches and parents assistants are trained and certified by NASP to teach archery in the Archery Club. Students learn about the sport of archery, including safety, how to use equipment, scoring, and the rules of competition. Competitions are held weekly during practice and at regional and state level tournaments in the spring.
- Club is open to students in grades 5 – 12 and is limited to 16 students (if more than 16 are interested, a second meeting day may be added).
- Practices are Thursdays 3:15 – 4:15 p.m in the gym and runs from September 26, 2019 – March 12, 2020.
- Parent help is essential and very much appreciated-to take attendance, make phone calls, serve snacks, and help with crowd control.
- All students will be required to sign a behavior agreement to ensure the safety of all participants.
- All parents are required to sign an informed Waiver of Liability.
- Registration fee in $150.00 per year. There will be no refunds after the 2nd meeting of the club.
Contact club sponsor: Brian Sigman
Beat Box Club
Using online apps and websites, students manipulate sounds and beats to create music. Students may bring their own devices (but they must be kept turned off and in backpacks during the school day) or they may use a school issued computer.
- Open to students in grades 4 – 8
- Club meets Wednesdays 3:15 – 4:15
- Start date: January 29, 2020
- Last meeting: March 18, 2020
- Registration Fee: $50
- Students should bring a snack
- Contact club sponsor: Dana Rees
Students will learn the rules and strategies of the game of chess, while improving their abstract thinking and sequencing skills. They will play games against each other during club meetings and will also compete in matches against other Jefferson County elementary and middle schools.
- Open to students in grades 4 – 12
- Meetings are Mondays from 3:15 – 4:00 in the Summit Academy Library
- October 29 – December 17, 2018
- Registration fee is $50
- Contact club sponsor
Cooking Club: Kessler’s Kitchen
Cooking Club: Kessler’s Kitchen is being offered in remembrance of former parent, board president, friend, and enthusiastic supporter, Amy Kessler. One of Amy’s passions was cooking – she loved entertaining for her friends and being in the kitchen.
- Club is open to students in grades 4 – 12
- Meets on Wednesdays from 3:15 – 4:45
- Students may only register for 1 session:
- Session 1 (FULL): 2/19, 2/26, 3/4, 3/11
- Session 2: 3/18, 3/25, 4/8, 4/15
- Session 3: 4/22, 4/29, 5/6, 5/13
- Limit of 8 students per session
- Registration fee: $75
- Contact club sponsor: Susan Hill
Students will participate in drama and theater activities, including script readings, stage direction, portraying various emotions and improvisation. The students in drama club will stage one production in December and another in April. Content and difficulty of the production will depend on the age and capabilities of the performers.
- Drama Club is open to all students in grades 4 – 12.
- Meetings are on Thursdays from 3:15 – 4:15 in the auditorium. Additional Tuesday practices will be added as we near show time.
- Session 2 begins January 30, 2020
- Additional rehearsals will be schedule closer to performance dates. Club sponsor will inform parents of any changes in rehearsals or performances.
- Students must maintain good school attendance and rehearsal attendance to perform in productions.
- Registration fee is $100.00 per session. If your student wants to participate all year, you must register for BOTH sessions. There will be no refunds after the second rehearsal of the session.
- Contact club sponsor: Rebecca Hoffmann
- Club is open to students in grades 1 – 3
- Meets on Wednesdays from 3:15 – 4:15
- Meeting dates:
- February: 6, 13, 20, 27
- March: 6, 13, 20, 27
- Registration fee is $75
- Participants should bring a snack for after school
Contact club sponsor: Amy Baumert
Swim Club is non-competitive club designed for exercise, social interaction and fun!
- Swim Club is open to all students in grades K – 8.
- Club meets Fridays from 3 – 4 p.m. at All about Kids, located at 2531 Blankenbaker Pkwy.
- Fall Session Dates: August 30, September: 6, 13, 20, 27; October: 11; November: 1, 15, 23; December 6.
- Spring Session Dates: January 10, 17, 20, 27; February 7, 28; March 13, 20; April 10, 17.
- Parents are responsible for transporting, or arranging transportation for their children to and from All About Kids.
- Registration fee is $70.00 per session. If your student wants to participate all year, you must register for BOTH sessions. There will be no refunds given after the second meeting of the club.
- Swim Club requires a signed Waiver of Liability.
- Contact club sponsor: Joe Wight
Tapping into the natural intrigue of kids to “make stuff”, TinkerLab is a structured environment where students will be able to use their creativity. Using high-tech and low-tech materials such as Legos, Snap Circuits, cardboard, and art supplies, students will solve everyday problems and develop new ideas.